Sunday, November 6, 2011

Shenanigans




Weekend shenanigans are mostly composed of breakfast. For me... I look forward to my weekend breakfasts, much. My weeks go by so quickly now, school is fast paced.
About two months ago, my doctor diagnosed me with snapping hip syndrome, or Dancer's Hip. In lamen's terms, it can be best described as a sharp joint pain that can radiate down your affected leg down to your ankle. After activity, it can hurt for days; and if not treated, can hurt for weeks and months.
In short, my hip hurts like a mofo, it feels like someone is stabbing (and sometimes dragging) a knife in my hip. Of course, like all my other injuries, I ignored the diagnosis and kept running and just stretched a little. I love running, and I sure do miss it terribly. I just stopped running two weeks ago (a month and a half after the diagnosis) and with the extra time on my hands, I've been stretching, gaining weight, and taking up a little yoga and cycling.
I've toned down the activity significantly, and it's been... not so great. But as of yesterday, I've been trying to focus on being more positive, and trying not to be too concerned about my physical appearance, but in contrast, focusing on how I feel.
What a change right? This is a huge leap and change, it's a cliche idea, but I understand why so many have employed it.
I tried to enjoy my weekend, but I feel like my metabolism has kept trekking, while my activity has retarded. But onward to Vegan Pancakes.

**This recipe can be stripped of its chocolate chip specifics, and can be seen as a blank canvas for future variations. Here are a few tips on pancakes.

Vegan Chocolate Chip Pancakes
makes 5 silver dollar pancakes
1/4C Rolled Oats
2 tbsp WW Flour
1/2 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder (I used Soy Protein)
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/8 tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Applesauce (SF) *
1/8 C Vanilla Almond Milk
1 tsp Vanilla
Dash of Cinnamon
1tsp Chocolate Chips (or 3 chocolate chips per pancake)

Mix together the dry ingredients (Rolled Oats, WW Flour, Protein Powder, Baking Powder, Cinnamon, Salt) Make sure the oats don't sink to the bottom, and ensure that everything is well mixed. Then put in the apple sauce and Almond Milk and mix well. Don't over mix please. Just mix until incorporated then ladle into a hot and oiled pan. (don't drown them in a pool of oil please.) Cook until you see lovely bubbles around the side of the pancakes. Flip them when you see the bubbles, if you miss them when they first appear, no worries, more bubbles will form. You don't have to cook them as long on the other side. Just press on the pancake when you think it's done, (please press on the cooked side) it should bounce back immediately, and not squish down.
Serve with SF Maple Syrup and a bit of Agave



Gin Wigmore - These Roses

No comments:

Post a Comment