Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Coping With Injury

So over the past few weeks, I have been learning to cope with my dancer's hip, as you may or may not have read about here. Coping methods...
I've been swimming, doing hot vinyasa yoga, cycling and a few insanity videos here and there. I've been trying to watch what I eat, without limiting myself too much - less activity = less calories. I've been feeling a little more positive, actually. I wrote a post a little while ago about changing your mind set, and how you look at things. Quite honestly, I never thought that would be me - changing the way I think. I always thought that was a load of crap to make people feel better.. But maybe it wasn't... I don't believe I have been any more stressed, however, I don't want to draw any conclusions too soon. That tends to be quite a pattern in my book.
Speaking of stress....
I just found this article on Reddit.. Let's break it down....
So basically this article is saying that there is some sort of correlation between a woman's mental state and eating state. The correlation doesn't look good either. For you women who work hard, apparently you play hard as well. The study showed that women who were given a food incentive (access to a buffet) and a deadline, were more likely to eat 230cal more than those women who patiently waited (same amount of time - 45min) for their food. So what does that say?
I drew the conclusion that stress makes you fat. It's quite true in terms of the hormones released and inhibited when an individual is fat - hormones dictate where fat goes etc. But stress also causes stress eating. Self explanatory, yes? You eat when you are stressed.
But I found that this article contradicted another article. I know that the two articles are not exactly the same idea, but the conclusion I drew was contradictory.
The second article stated that women who are in high stress positions, such as executive and CEO positions have a tendency to develop restrictive eating disorders. Their reasoning behind that was that women need to feel control and they exert those feelings on their eating habits.
However at the end of the day, eating habits (obviously) differ from one individual to another.
And you may even find the same eating habits (and stress relief), that may contradict each other, in the same individual.

What do you guys think? Do you restrict yourself more? or do you tend to overeat?
Personally, I'm a combination of both. Currently, I'm overeating....

No comments:

Post a Comment